Great Talking Topics with Your Grandkids
Connecting with the younger generations is important, especially when it comes to your children and grandchildren. We have gathered some great starters and topics that are sure to get the conversation flowing.
- Name: Were you named after a family member or does your name have a special meaning?
- Nickname: Did you have a nickname that your siblings or friends called you? How did you get the nickname?
- Early Childhood: Where were you born? What was your house like as a child?
- Family: How did your family spend time together?
- Schooling: What was your favourite subject at school? Did you have a favourite teacher?
- Parents: What is the most important lesson that your parents taught you?
- Friends: What did you and your friends do for fun when you were young? Did you have a best friend?
- Entertainment: Did you have a favourite toy?
- Memories: What is the earliest memory that you have?
- Pets: Have you owned any pets? What was your first pet?
- Reading: Did you have a favourite book?
- Play: What was your favourite game?
- Television: Did you watch TV as a child? What was your favourite show?
- Money: Did you get an allowance? How much was it and what did you spend your money on? Did you have to do chores?
- Mischief: Did you ever get in trouble as a child or teenager? Did you have a curfew and what time was it? Did you ever miss curfew?
- Work: Have you had a job? What was your first job?
- Dreams: What did you want to be when you grew up?
- Driving: What was your first car?
- Hometown: Where have you lived? Talk about your first house.
- Travel: Where have you travelled? What is your favourite city to visit? Do you have a favourite family vacation memory?
- Changes: What is different about growing up today than when you were a child?
Love & Relationships
- Grandparents: How did you meet grandma/grandpa?
- Marriage: What was your marriage proposal like?
- Wedding: Where was your wedding? Who was your matron of honour/best man?
Parents & Children
- Children: Who are your children? What is your favourite memory with your children?
- Hopes: What is your dream for your children and grandchildren?
- Grandparents: What were your grandparents like?
- Parents: Tell them about the day their mother/father was born. What were they like growing up?
- Best things: What is your favourite thing about being a grandparent?
Likes & Dislikes
- The Holidays: Do you have a holiday tradition? What is your favourite thing about the holidays?
- Religion: Do you practice a religion? What impact has it had on your life?
- Relaxation: How do you handle stress?
- Secrets: What could you tell them that they would be surprised to learn about you?
- Happiness: What makes you happy?
- Regrets: Do you have any regrets?
- Gratitude: What are you thankful for?
- Fulfilment: Are there any secrets to living a long, fulfilling life?
- Advice: Is there any advice you feel the need to share?
Wacky & Fun
- Which Ability: Would you rather be able to breathe underwater like a fish, or fly like a bird?
- Which Celebrity: If you could have dinner with your favourite movie character, where would you dine, and what would you eat?
- Which Superpower: If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why?
- Which Animal: If you could be an animal, what animal would it be?
- Which Location: Would you rather play in the sand, or play in the snow?
You don’t have to go through all of these questions in a single day, and can share it bit by bit. The most important thing is for everyone to be engaged and have fun.
Find these and more great questions at: