Introduction to Streaming
Movies & TV Shows at Your Fingertips
Streaming is a fantastic way to watch TV and movies. It’s more convenient than traditional cable, and it allows you to access content from anywhere. But what exactly is streaming? How does it work? And how do you get started with streaming? Let’s dive in!
What is Streaming?
Streaming is an easy way to watch movies and TV shows via the internet. It allows users to stream video from any device with a connection, including your computer and smartphone, meaning you can tune in whether you’re at home or travelling!
In addition to instantly watching new releases, many streaming services also offer full seasons of popular television shows (including ones that are no longer airing). However, you’ll need a paid subscription plan in order for these features to be available for viewing on your device of choice.
How Does it Compare?
With streaming services, you can watch the movies and TV shows you want, when you want. You don’t have to wait for your favourite show to come on or wait until the cable company is making its rounds in order to get a show. With streaming services, it’s available immediately at any time of day. You also don’t need an expensive cable package or satellite dish; just pick up a subscription plan with your chosen service and start enjoying it!
You also won’t be limited by the number of devices that stream content; these days it’s common for people to own multiple devices capable of streaming video content (smartphones/tablets/laptops/desktops). If one device is not enough for you, then simply purchase another subscription plan from another provider and enjoy unlimited access across all your devices!
And finally: no more commercials! While traditional free-to-air television channels are constantly interrupting programs with commercials, streaming services let you watch from start to finish, uninterrupted.
Streaming ServicesThere are many options out there, and many of them are quite similar. Here’s a quick rundown to help you decide which one is right for you:
- Foxtel Now – Foxtel Now is a subscription video-on-demand service that allows you to stream content over the internet. You can watch live TV or catch up on shows that have recently aired on Foxtel channels like HBO or Showtime. You can also stream movies and documentaries from a wide range of genres and eras.
- Netflix – This is probably the most well-known streaming service. Netflix has a large library of both movies and TV shows, with titles being added all the time. With original content, classic series, and popular titles, there is something for every taste.
- Amazon Prime Video – Coming from one of the most successful companies in the world – Amazon – Prime Video is easy-to use and navigate. With popular titles, as well as those not found on other streaming services, and low prices, why not add this subscription and more than double your choices!
- Binge – The newest streaming service to hit Australia, the aptly named Binge’s catalogue is filled with titles that will keep you riveted from one episode to the next.
- Paramount+ – Paramount+ is the newest offering from Paramount Pictures, which allows subscribers to stream thousands of movies and TV shows on demand. The service also includes exclusive content that you can’t find anywhere else!
- Hayu – Hayu is a relatively new streaming service that offers a variety of different entertainment options. It offers tons of different shows and movies from many different genres including sci-fi, horror, drama, and comedy, with an emphasis on reality programming.
- Apple TV+ – Apple TV+ is the latest streaming service from Apple, offering a selection of original programming, as well as movies and TV shows from other providers, including Netflix and HBO.
- Acorn TV – AcornTV offers unique programming you won’t find anywhere else. It’s an independent British channel that specializes in British television programs from the past 40 years (including many previously unavailable shows).
- 9Now – 9Now is a free-to-air catch up TV service, available through 9Now.com.au and the 9Now app. With 9Now you can watch your favourite shows whenever you want, wherever you are and on the device of your choice.
- Stan – Stan launched back in 2015 as Australia’s first subscription video-on-demand service dedicated exclusively to TV shows from around the world (including Australia). It has since grown into one of the most popular platforms for watching TV shows online thanks to its high-quality content.
- Kayo – With Kayo, you can watch all the action from the Premier League, Super Rugby and more. You’ll never miss a game with Kayo’s live and on-demand sport coverage.
So, are you ready to cut the cord and stream your favourites? With new releases and classics being added to the vast catalogues every day, the hardest choice will be what to watch first.
Australian Over 50s Living & Lifestyle Guide